Pages

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Refined carbs, sugar, and cholesterol: My own experience

A few a long time ago I went to the medical doctor for a program appointment, and I was instructed that my LDL cholesterol was elevated. I was in my early 40s. My lipid profile was the pursuing - LDL: 156, HDL: 38, triglycerides: 188. The LDL was calculated. I was weighing about 210 lbs, which was as well substantial for my top (five ft 8 in). My blood stress was lower, as it has often been - systolic: 109, diastolic: sixty eight.

My medical professional gave me the common guidance in these cases: physical exercise, drop fat, and, most importantly, decrease your consumption of saturated body fat. I was also informed that I would possibly have to get statins, as my high LDL most likely experienced some thing to do with my genetic make-up. Once more, this is very regular, and we see it all more than the place, especially in commercials for statins.

I instructed my medical professional that I would do some study on the subject matter, which I am going to preserve for other posts. Enable me get to the level, by telling you what my lipid profile is these days - LDL: 123, HDL: 66, triglycerides: 46. Once more, the LDL worth is calculated. I am weighing about 152 lbs now, with about thirteen p.c of physique fat.

The HDL and triglycerides figures previously mentioned are revealed in bold font since my investigation convinced me that these two figures are the types most people need to truly be concerned about when making an attempt to tackle what is acknowledged as dyslipidemia. Right here I am assuming that only standard lipid profiles are offered there are greater alternate options, such as particle sort analyses, which are not however standard.

Numerous folks who undergo from cardiovascular disease have lower LDL cholesterol, but extremely handful of of these have high HDL cholesterol, which is one of the very best predictors of cardiovascular disease amid lipids. Far more exclusively, if you have an HDL increased than 60, you have a really small likelihood of developing cardiovascular condition. (It can take place, but it is really not likely, with a share likelihood in the single digits.)

Curiously, lower HDL cholesterol is also related with the metabolic syndrome. This syndrome is characterized by the following:

- Higher fasting serum glucose (hyperglycemia), which is one particular of several indicators of insulin resistance, a precursor to diabetes type 2
- Substantial blood pressure
- Belly weight problems (also recognized as pot or beer belly)
- Minimal HDL cholesterol and
- Elevated triglycerides.

Now, you may question, how did you enhance your HDL? Well, I tried out a amount of items - diet plan and life style adjustments - and experienced a blood take a look at every 3 months. After a while I was capable to set all of the steps in a spreadsheet desk, and correlate them employing a statistical software that I produced, to give me an concept of what was heading on.

Bodyweight was a huge aspect on LDL, and I was ready to provide my bodyweight down to 150 lbs and my LDL to below 100 at some level. For me, and numerous other folks, body fat and LDL cholesterol are strongly and positively correlated (the higher the bodyweight, the greater the LDL cholesterol - really body excess fat seems to be the true culprit). In addition, my LDL seemed to lessen more markedly when my weight was on the way down, and not as significantly when it was stable, even if lower.

But the HDL would only boost if I enhanced my saturated excess fat ingestion. The problem is that each and every time I improved my saturated unwanted fat ingestion my LDL would go up it attained 162 at 1 stage, when my HDL went up to a modest but encouraging 47. That was my optimum HDL until finally I eradicated refined carbs and sugars (e.g., bread, pasta, cereals, doughnuts, bagels, regular sodas) from my diet.

When I introduced my intake of refined carbs and sugars down to zero, my intake of protein and saturated unwanted fat went up. Either that would take place, or I would starve, due to the fact you have to take in some thing. (I figured that I would not die by doing a low carb/substantial unwanted fat-protein experiment for 3 months to see what occurred.) Also, I drastically enhanced my nutritional cholesterol - two to 4 eggs for every working day, organ meats, and seafood.

That is when my HDL shot up, to 66, and my LDL went down. Of course, my LDL stages seem to be to be negatively correlated with dietary saturated body fat and cholesterol amounts, as extended as I do not eat refined carbs and sugars. Moreover, it is very likely that my LDL particle dimensions elevated, and massive LDL particles DO NOT result in atherosclerosis due to the fact they cannot penetrate the artery walls.

So, the bottom line is that, at the very least for me, an Enhance in saturated body fat and a Decrease in refined carbs and sugars, occurring collectively, look to have taken me out of my previous route toward the metabolic syndrome.

In addition, I truly feel a lot much more energetic than ahead of, my immune method appears to have gotten far better at battling condition, and even my pollen allergies are not as negative as they ended up just before. Admittedly, these positive aspects may be strongly associated with the excess weight decline and the relevant reduction in human body body fat percentage.

I hope this post is valuable to other folks. The common guidance that folks with higher LDL cholesterol obtain, which typically focuses on minimizing saturated fat intake, has a big issue. When you reduce your intake of a type of foods, you generally increase your consumption of other kinds of meals. Most men and women who try out to minimize their saturated unwanted fat ingestion invariably improve their carb intake, usually with the wrong kinds of carb-prosperous foods (the man-created types), basically due to the fact they go hungry.
Title: Refined carbs, sugar, and cholesterol: My own experience
Rating: 910109 user reviews.
Posted by: Admin Updated at: 8:04 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment