Pages

Friday, October 25, 2013

A trip to Europe: Some health-related routines and observations

Each 12 months I vacation to Europe on company, usually as soon as or twice a yr. These journeys generally require meetings with engineers, researchers, and undertaking administrators from a variety of European countries usually five to ten international locations are represented.

Right here are some of my notes on a current vacation to Europe. In this vacation I invested time in two towns: Amsterdam, Netherlands and Antwerp, Belgium. Underneath is a established of the pictures I took in Antwerp, of a statue depicting the roman soldier Silvius Brabo keeping the severed hand of the giant Druon Antigoon.


In accordance to legend Druon Antigoon had terrorized and extorted the individuals of Antwerp, slicing off the fingers of many folks and throwing them in the nearby Scheldt River, until finally the courageous Silvius Brabo came into the scene and not only lower off the giant’s hand but also killed him.

This legend has probably been concocted toward the end of the Roman Empire, mostly by the Romans, who initial recognized Antwerp as a Roman outpost.

Right after this small digression, listed here are some overall health-relevant routines that I adopted during this vacation, and some of my principal observations relating to diet regime and overall health concerns.

On the aircraft:

    - The meals ended up a competition of hyperglycemic and professional-inflammatory refined carbohydrates, harmful vegetable oils, and sugars – white bread, pasta, numerous sweets, pretzels, chips loaded with supposedly healthful omega 6 fat, margarine and so on. I skipped all of the snacks and a single of the foods, the breakfast. At the main meal of each flight I ate only meat, veggies, and some of the fruits.

    - The flights above and back ended up very relaxed given that I was h2o-fasting most of the time. Not a hint of indigestion or abdominal distress of any sort. These ended up 9 to 10 hour flights, from Houston to Amsterdam and back again.

At organization luncheons:

    - The concept of having a sandwich for lunch seems to be receiving common in Europe. At the very least I have been observing that happening a lot more and a lot more typically these days. At these sandwich luncheons, I ate only the articles of some sandwiches (essentially cold cuts, cheese and veggies), and still left the bread slices untouched.

    - Some people seen that I was not eating bread. I told them about insulin, lectins etc. A handful of looked at me as although I was insane others with a disapproving appear – dontchano, the lipid hypothesis!? A noteworthy exception was a German gentleman who mentioned that Germans had been too pragmatic not to discover that they ended up receiving body fat on reduced unwanted fat eating plans, and are now reverting back to their staple diet regime of meats, fish, vegetable stews, and cheese.

At dining establishments for supper:

    - This was fairly easy. I ate basically fish or meat dishes with veggies, and appreciated them a whole lot. I skipped the deserts again significantly to the surprise of some of my European colleagues.

    - Skipping the desserts seems to have aided me cope with jetlag a lot better than I generally do. On my next day in Europe I slept very well, and was unusually rested on the up coming day.

At the lodge:

    - The breakfast buffets ended up a mix of: (a) breads, pastries, sweetened cereals, sugary things, and fruits and (b) meats (frequently cured), some fish, cheeses, eggs, nuts, and some veggies. There had been also fruit juices. I had reliable breakfasts with (b)-sort items, with a few fruits extra (cantaloupe and berries). I experienced standard espresso with product and no sugar, and stayed absent from fruit juices.

    - I did not use cleaning soap, shampoo and so forth. at the resort just basic h2o. From time to time the cleaning soap employed in lodges is very caustic, or rich in other chemicals, leading to rashes. I trapped with showers and experienced no baths, as often the bathtubs are not effectively cleaned after their very last use.

    - At the end of my vacation I took a practice from Antwerp to Amsterdam, and stayed at a resort in close proximity to the Schiphol Airport (which has its personal teach station) considering that my flight back to the U.S. was in the morning. I experienced meal by myself at the lodge, which was effortless. I stopped at a location called Meals Village at the Airport (seen from the Airport’s major entrance) and bought a water bottle, a piece of Gouda cheese, a can of sardines, and a box of seaweed. That was a quite very good evening meal, and expense me about six euros.

The results for me:

    - I experienced no trace of indigestion at all through the vacation, in spite of taking in way much more cheese than I typically do. The cheese that I ate was all-natural, aged cheese, not the processed sort.

    - I experienced no want for much more or considerably less use of the rest room than I typically do, and remained “regular” throughout the trip. No indication of constipation at all.

    - I had no physique odor (at least none that I could notice), even however I utilized no cleaning soap. My hair was fine way too I used no shampoo or conditioner.

    - Jet lag troubles had been considerably less pronounced than they normally are when I vacation to Europe. The time big difference is about 7 hours from Texas. Generally, I are inclined to come to feel really sleepy in the afternoon and broad awake about three am. Not this time.

    - In spite of not performing exercises for about 7 days, apart from for walking, I was capable to elevate slightly heavier weights at a work out the working day right after my return than I did just before my trip.

    - According to the scale, I misplaced 1 pound in the course of this excursion. I do not know regardless of whether this was human body fat or just h2o. It is not likely that there was any muscle decline.

From what I could see, Europeans are typically thinner than Americans (especially Texans), and also look to be healthier. None of the individuals I fulfilled, not a single, was obviously obese. On the other hand, the majority appeared to be considerably overweight.

My perception was that the Europeans take in lesser quantities of refined carbs and sugars than Americans, on a weekly basis, even although they currently eat much more of these items than they should, in my view.

Use of vegetable oils other than olive oil is also decrease than in the U.S intake of butter and cheese looks to be a good deal larger.

From my conversations with several people during this excursion, it appeared that the health of Europeans, like that of their American counterparts, is strongly correlated with the extent to which they are chubby. The a lot more physique body fat, the far more widespread was to listen to grievances about ache listed here or there, exhaustion, degenerative illnesses, or discuss about surgical procedures.
Title: A trip to Europe: Some health-related routines and observations
Rating: 910109 user reviews.
Posted by: Admin Updated at: 3:56 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment